Devotions In Psalms: Psalm 78:1-7 God You are Mad!


A Contemplation Of Asaph.

1 Give ear, O my people, to my law;

Incline your ears to the words of my mouth.

2 I will open my mouth in a parable;

I will utter dark sayings of old,



(ref) Matt. 13:34, 35



3 Which we have heard and known,

And our fathers have told us.



Jesus spoke in comparisons or obscure sayings and emphasized passing the knowledge to the children, generation after generation. Telling our children and teaching our children must be renewed and revived in families. It is not enough that we educate them intellectually, we must pass the teachings of Christ to them from our family setting as well. This is an example to us that was set here in this Psalm. The teachings of the Passover and the experience of the Passover was passed down from generation to generation. Where are our examples of an orderly home given to the importance and the practice of making the knowledge of Jesus Christ as much a part of family routine as taking the children to a soccer game!



( ref) Deut. 4:9; 11:19; Job 15:18



4 We will not hide them from their children,

Telling to the generation to come the praises of the Lord,

And His strength and His wonderful works that He has done.

5 For He established a testimony in Jacob,

And appointed a law in Israel,

Which He commanded our fathers,

That they should make them known to their children;

6 That the generation to come might know them,

The children who would be born,

That they may arise and declare them to their children,

7 That they may set their hope in God,

And not forget the works of God,

But keep His commandments;

(ref)Ps. 102:18



With all the tragedies and headaches that one generation leaves another, we can make a difference by investing in our children with giving them the knowledge of God and the teachings of Jesus Christ that they may have strength to combat the mistakes that our generation have made. There is hope in Jesus Christ. He can save souls, raise up nations, and balance trillion dollar budgets!



(ref)Ex. 12:26, 27; Deut. 4:9; 6:7; Is. 38:19; Joel 1:3; Ex. 13:8, Ps. 147:19



8 And may not be like their fathers,

A stubborn and rebellious generation,

A generation that did not set its heart aright,

And whose spirit was not faithful to God.



(ref) 2 Kin. 17:14



Why are people relentlessly stubborn?



(ref) 2 Chr. 30:7



Hezekiah sent letters for the people to come to the house of the Lord at Jerusalem to keep the Passover to the Lord God of Israel. The runners would warn, "Do not be like your fathers and your brethren, enter His sanctuary and serve the Lord." Has anything changed? It seems people make coming to the sanctuary optional. There are always the faithful, (for which the Lord is returning), they feel a commitment, others see options according to their feelings or else they feel it is not a big deal to miss His house or worship of Him, they are motivated by convenience.



Ezek. 20:18 It is a repetitious observation to see that God makes a driving point not to go away from Him or the consequences are harmful.



Ex. 32:9; In this verse God is dealing again with the issue of the people and their rebellion against Him. He basically is fed up and tells Moses to move over because he is about to make toast of the Israelites due to their disobedience. Moses says, "Wait for a sec here God. What would everybody say if you make toast of these people here in this wilderness after you staged such a dramatic exit? Wouldn't that seem ridiculous to them? Wouldn't they laugh at you and all of us? Just cool down a bit God and give this a little more time. Remember your purpose in the beginning is to establish a nation as you promised."



And God relented. And God relented! Isn't that amazing, that Moses could talk God out of doing something? I find that so cool.



I think along those lines myself at times when I know there is healing in the house. It is preached and it is practiced. However, I look around and I see not only myself, but other Christians struggling with physical ailments or some physical illness, disease, or handicap that beats them down even while they know and have experienced the healing power of God. Does the world look at us and say, "Look at that, God brings them to the brink of Canaan and all they can do is complain. If they believe what they teach why aren't they walking in the healing faith they teach?" I have asked that very question myself. The answer I have is "I don't know". I do know that at times I experience either instant healing or gradual healing and at other times I find myself waiting and waiting for the healing to come. I am not one to divert and depend on medical intervention, although I trust it and believe it is a gift from God, but I just want Him to do it without all that fuss and bother. I do not like to sit and wait on an appointment with a physician, although it is necessary, and I do not like medical procedures, most of them are expensive and invasive. So, I have multiple conversations with God about healing and how it is difficult to practice what I am preaching at times and I do not want to make a mockery of His word by not applying His word in my life. But, I know God can take care of His word and I don't have to prop up His word. I just have to get in my prayer chamber and work it all out until I find the candlestick of direction.



(ref) Deut. 9:7, 24; 31:27; Judg. 2:19; Is. 30:9 Job 11:13; Ps. 78:37



God works with blocks of people it seems. Most of us are just frankly blockheads. But he does work and refer to blocks or groups and mainly catergorizes time with generations. He refers to a generation that did not set its heart right. What is He saying about this generation? Is our spirit not faithful to God? Are we the generation that God would like to toast?

Better start the conversation that Moses had with Him, hopefully, He will relent!

.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Friend Jo-Ann

I Will Stay in My Walled House Paula Day Johns

Dancing With My Pillows