The Little Wren With No Place To Go Except Home

 November 16 2020



A small little wren has occupied my front porch ledge, no nest, just the ledge, and comes there to sleep nightly.  He has been doing this for many years, possibly five or more, and does nothing else there except sleep.  

He gets in a certain corner, tucks his head in his wing and he is down for the night.  I often turn on the porch light to check and make sure he is there.  He almost always is there.  There are some nights he does not come to my porch to sleep, and I wonder where he is.  He is beginning to feel like one of the family.  In fact, when I have family in the evening, they check to see if  the wren is there.  It brings a comforting feeling to me when he does.

I assume that this wren has made this place his home base, his go to so to speak.  What an example he is to me in light of the fact that I think about home and home base and where if feels like home.  I can name you a few things that make home feel like home.  

It feels like home when the things I have placed in particular places are there waiting on me. It may be my desk top, it may be my linen closet, it may be my pots and pans in their special place; or it may be my driveway that fills with hundreds of leaves in the fall, like it is now. But no matter what is going on or the circumstances in my life, when I am home, there is a certain feeling about home.  

The things I named above are the physical things that make a home.  The other things that make a home are family.  Having my children, my grandchildren, and my great grandchildren present has a distinct feeling of home.  I never cease wanting to gather my brood just to assure myself they are doing well and to allow my love to reach them with hugs, smiles, and home cooked meals. There is no replacement for that feeling of being home.

There is also another feeling of home that is not physical and it is not family.  That is the feeling of being home spiritually.  I am not talking about being home eternally, I am talking about feeling at home with Jesus Christ.  That is a feeling that I have to work at because intimacy with Him requires a good bit of time reflecting, praying, meditating, and looking for Him in the eyes and heart of others,  It is the constant pursuit of seeking Him out, of knowing Him, and being confident that He, like me waiting on my family to come with excitement, is waiting on us to come to Him with excitement.  His desire is to be with us, to walk with us, to be a part of everything in our life; but He wants us to welcome Him, to ask of Him, to talk to Him because He will never go where He is not asked to come.

There are so many on this planet with no place to go, I am not speaking particularly of the homeless, although they are included; people who feel they are out of sync with life, out of step with reality, displaced, confused, depressed, and rejected. My hope for them, and for anyone who just can't put a finger on why things are not feeling whole, that there really is no place to go except home; home being close to Jesus Christ.  That is the answer to being home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Friend Jo-Ann

I Will Stay in My Walled House Paula Day Johns