Making The Most of Motivation

After the busy Christmas season, and feeling pooped from standing on my feet for hours at the time, searching recipes, cooking, shopping for ingredients; I wondered what really motivates me to keep doing this. 

My thoughts go back to the meals that our mother made for us down through the years.  My brother and I would bring our children to her house, our sister would be there also, but she didn't have children, and we stayed for a couple of nights, played board games, and smelled  mother's scrumptious recipes cooking.

She always fixed different dishes and tried to make everyone's  favorite thing.  When all of us got around the table, a table that she had built herself that was sturdy and had benches, we would enjoy the works of her hands. There would be all kinds of cakes, pies, entrees, and breads.  She would say, "Paula, I made that special Olive Loaf you like so much."  I would just nod not realizing, in years to come, how much that would stand out in my mind.

After many years, there came a time when she physically could not do it anymore.  There would be around thirty of us when we all got together after my brother and I had children.  All of us miss those times so very much.  In fact, I have tried to replicate what we had there, but I am afraid I have failed at that.  My children have always said, "Christmas is not the same as when we went to GG's.

I had always cooked for my own family and had always tried new recipes for them.  Quite often we would sit down to gourmet meals.  So, I knew it was not just the cooking and the special recipes they missed.  It was something much more than that.

As a result, all four of my children, two boys, two girls, are great cooks. The have a knack for food and how to prepare it and how to serve it.  I take credit for that...but I also share it with my mother, who loved to try great recipes and gave us a flair for food.

We were so blessed during those years we could eat at her homemade table.  It was years of memories to treasure.
Now, when my feet ache and I have been in the kitchen for what seems like days on end, I know that the memories I have of Mother and her meals, motivate me to keep the mixing bowls going for a long time.  When I can't do it any longer, I know I have four children that will keep the recipes coming for their children and grandchildren for many years to come.  Life is good.

Comments

  1. I cooked the whole thanksgiving dinner this year. I took on the whole responsibility this year from purchashing the ingredients, preparing, the meal. I just prepared for mom and dad. Brent was with michelles family. I thought same thing; all these years mom has done this for all of us. I know it was for the family to just be together. Of course when I moved away the holiday would approach and would bring in a dish or two but mom carried all the weight of making sure all the best dishes were made. Brent and I were talking around this time and said just not the same as it used to be when Grandpa and grandma were living. The years nanny was living. Oh how I miss those times, getting up having our Christmas together, then going to enjoy christmas with all of the Griffins. Would just about give anything to have that one more time. Like I told Brent, this just might be the last holiday you have with our parents. Treasure it! And scares me to know that when they are gone I will never have a holi day with him that all the traditions will come to a haste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mother surprised us this year and cooked one of signature turkey and dressing meals! She also said "Paula, I made the Chinese casserole you like so much"! We didn't get the dining room treatment on the homemade table, but at 88 Mother wowed us all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can be thankful for a long family holiday tradition. It was at first going to Grandma and Grandpa's house for Christmas. Then, as they passed on, to Mama's with our children. Now, I can see that phasing out and our children are bring their children to our house. We have become the Grandma and Grandpa that we use to go to. It is the cycle of life that has been going on for hundred's of years. So, although it is sad in a way, it is also a privilege to be able to participate in one of these cycles. I think of so many people that does not have this heritage and that is what is really sad. We have been and are blessed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Friend Jo-Ann

I Will Stay in My Walled House Paula Day Johns

Dancing With My Pillows